All the Kids

All the Kids

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Big Breakthrough

Today was a great day.  We have tried and tried to get Benjamin to talk to us when he is upset so we will know what is going on and can try to help.  Today, I could hear him getting frustrated/angry in the next room so I waited to see how he would handle it.  Within seconds, he came to find me and on the verge of tears told me with jumbled, yet intelligible words, what was happening.  I was able to tell him I would take care of it and told him how proud I was of him for talking to me.  It was an easy situation to resolve, no tears were shed, and he seemed quite proud of himself.  I am so happy to see him learning new techniques for dealing with his frustrations.  To me, this was huge!  I am an awfully proud mama today of our little man.  He is a special guy.

I was making a grocery list today and Benjamin realized what I was doing.  He started listing off items left and right, in English, that we need/want.  As far as food goes, his English is great!  He really, really likes to eat.

During our school today, Benjamin was smiling and humming as he did his work.  The picture of happiness.  Carlie asked him if he likes school.  His first reaction was to frown and say noooo.  Then we pointed out to him that he was doing school and a slow grin spread over his face.  He does like school....  :)

It is very interesting to me how he has begun to push away all things Ukrainian and Russian (except for food!).  He does not want to speak to people in Russian.  At a doctor's visit yesterday, the doctor had arranged for a translator to be at our appointment so she could communicate with him.  And at church on Sunday some people tried to speak to him in Russian.  Both times, he refused to talk to them until they talked to him in English.  Then when we try to play Mega Mind for him in Russian, he will tell us, "No, English."  He is pushing that away.  Yet when he plays Just Dance on the Wii, he inevitable goes to Rasputin.  It is in English yet is clearly a Russian song, a Russian dance, and has a Russian Orthodox church in the background.  I think subconsciously he connects with it.  So very interesting.

At night, we read to Jocelyn and Ellie Grace before they go to bed.  Until now, Benjamin has had no interest in joining us.  We always offer but he has always said no to joining us.  We have not pushed but all of us love to read and we would really like for him to share in that love.  Yesterday, Jocelyn had her speech therapy appointment and we always read while we wait on her therapist.  Benjamin was with us and worked his way into the story time.  Then tonight, he snuggled right in and listened as we read.  It is the little things like that make me so happy.  Tomorrow, we will be going to the book store to let him choose a couple of books of his own.

Somehow, we have absolutely no idea how, Benjamin had picked up saying, "Oh my gosh."  We have always discouraged our kids from saying that so we had a talk about how we do not say that but instead we say, "Oh my goodness" and that a friend says, "Oh my stars."  We told him he could say either or come up with something on his own.  It is wonderful how we can tell him something one time and it is done.  Period.  His new favorite saying is, "Oh my goodness."  I so wish I could type that with his Ukrainian accent.  It.  Is.  Precious.  I love it.

In other news, Scott and I renewed our foster care license today and are looking forward to what the year will bring.  We, once again, heard stories that hurt our hearts and we desperately wish we could provide a home and a family for all the hurt children out there.  If you are considering foster care or adoption, I would encourage you to get going!

2 comments:

David I said...

Glad to hear about the breakthrough! I'm looking forward to when our daughter joins us for reading time before bed. I wonder if it will be when she understands more English like Benjamin.

Our daughter also started saying "O my gosh" and "O my goodness". I get how cute it is with the Russian accent!

Crystal said...

Daniel has been home for nearly six months and refuses to speak Russian as well. There are certain words that have become a part of our family's vocabulary that are Russian and he uses them (maybe because he doesn't realize that there is an English word?) but other than that, nada. I think that is a pretty common phenomena among children who are adopted. It is like Russian is a trigger or something.