All the Kids

All the Kids

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Adopting again

Well....we are adopting again.  Two precious boys who live in Ukraine.  They are 10 and 11 years old and they stole our hearts 15 months ago.  In December, 2011, we had started the process to adopt them just days before I got my diagnosis of stage 3 metastatic melanoma.  That was such a shock to us and we put the adoption on hold to give us time to get our bearings and to get me through my surgery and the 12 months of treatment.  In anticipation of me finishing up the treatment this month, we restarted the process a while ago.  We felt and still feel that God is calling us to adopt the boys and are stepping out in faith and welcoming the boys into our family.  We know many people will think we are crazy.  Melanoma is a scary and unpredictable cancer.  I know of people who have only lived for a few months after diagnosis and I know of people who are alive years after their diagnosis.  But, really, none of us knows how long we have on this earth.  We do know, if these boys are not adopted, that they will face a very bleak future.  For now, I am NED (no evidence of disease) and we feel like we are the family for them.  We do not know how it will all work out, but we do not have to know.  Please pray for us and for the boys as we move forward.

Now let me back us with our story for those of you who do not know us well.  Scott and I have been married for more than 20 years.  We have four biological kids, ages 18, 19, 20, and 24.  We homeschooled all of them and loved most every minute of it.  In 2009, Scott and I began to feel called to more than what we were doing.  We prayed and sought God's will and felt led to fostering children.  We have since decided God only gives you tidbits of His plan at a time, probably because we can not handle the entire picture all at once!  So our plan was to foster, loving and caring for the children until their families were prepared to take them back.  NO intentions of adopting and starting over!  In February, 2010, we got the call about Jocelyn and Ellie Grace.  They came to us at 3 1/2 years and 5 days old.  In July, 2012, we finalized their adoption.  They have truly been such a blessing to our family.

We are nervous and excited at the same time at the prospect of adding two more children...but mostly excited.  They will make 8 children for us, hence the name of the blog.  Pictures are coming - when I figure out this whole blogging thing.  Thanks for your prayers for us and for the boys.

5 comments:

erica said...

Yay!!!! So excited to follow along on your journey!! So thrilled for you guys, and praying that God will richly bless all of you while you wait for your 2 *precious* boys. Can't wait to see more of the story unfold!!!

David and Larisa said...

Wonderful! We got to meet sweet V a little bit over Christmas, as he was hosted by my sister's family. What an awesome kiddo! Praying that everything works out quickly and smoothly on the adoption front.

The Gasser Family said...

I was able to meet Vitaly briefly over Christmas! Such a handsome and sweet boy! So thankful to hear he now has a wonderful Christian family to be a part of! Blessings to your family!

Attempting Agape said...

Congrats!

Abby Greutman said...

I am extremely excited to hear this news! I did some translating for Chris and Erica over Christmas, and I got to know Vitaly. That boy loves to ask questions!!! I hope everything goes smoothly, and if you need anything, please contact my family (we adopted 9 from Ukraine!).